Word of God Catholic School was born in May,1994 as the result of the merger of three parishes, Saint Anselm, Saint Barnabas and Our Lady of the Visitation. The original school, known as Saint Anselm, began in July, 1909. The first eighth grade was added for the school term 1911. Saint Anselm was organized and staffed by the Greensburg Sisters of Charity who are still active in the school and parish.
The school is located in a suburb of Pittsburgh called Swissvale, which has undergone many social and economic changes over the last several decades.
Although the majority of our students are from the Word of God parish, students from the surrounding areas of Squirrel Hill, Wilkinsburg, Braddock Hills, Forest Hills and Rankin attend. Students of various faiths attend the school including several Jewish children.
The population of Word of God Catholic School is diverse not only in religions but also in ethnic background.